Thursday 12 January 2012

Celebration of a Life....

Yesterday I was at a funeral for the Father of a very dear friend of mine.  He had a full life, full of Love, Joy and Laughter.  As I sat there with the rest of "The Girls" I was observing the rituals we as humans follow when someone leaves. Although very sad they are especially beautiful when the person leaving has led a full and charmed life.

Jim Barnes lived to be 90 years old.  He met his wife who is still with us in 1946 and they married a couple of years later.  He brought his young family to Canada from Ireland and raised two happy children and his relationship with his wife strengthened over the years.  As I looked at the photo slide presentation there was picture upon picture of him smiling with his family and friends.  It became very clear that he was well loved by all that met him.

I know how he made me feel the time I met him.  He was funny and had me in stitches most of the time and kept on feeding me his  "kick-ass" home-brewed beer that could knock your socks clean off!!  I had a great afternoon.

Seems he loved a good party.  He enjoyed a good laugh, was quite the story teller and hard working.  Above all he loved his family and truly enjoyed his friends.  He inspired his children and adored his grandchild. A very special person whom we will all miss but none more so than his family!

How I hope that when I leave I will have family and friends that will remember how I made them laugh.  That I made them feel loved.  That I supported them and always tried to have a cheerful disposition.

Yes the day was sad, and yes hard times still lay ahead for the family as they navigate the year of firsts, but in the words of his son - his voice will always be in their heads saying  "Sure everything will be alright" and I for one believe that.....

Love and Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment